Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Things are going well here. I went out to the farm two weekends ago to drop off the Cable for my trellis system and to measure out the plot. Surprisingly, 65 feet does not seem like far at all when you are out in that field. The actual planted area is going to be about 60' x 65' which I finally did the math on and discovered that it is only about one TENTH of an acre. I will have plenty of room to expand in that field if I want to in coming years, and getting enough manure and other compostables for my field will not be as hard as I had thought. My father and I went out on Saturday and Sunday to cut up a large oak tree that had fallen in the front yard, miraculously missing the farmhouse completely. I spent the afternoon the next Friday chopping up wood for the Wood-stove. Weather has been nice, and the Scuppernongs, pears, and apples are ripe and delicious. With my new agrarian lifestyle comes new responsibility; I don't know why, but I suddenly feel like maintaining the dams and the fences is up to me. Its going to be horrible if these hops don't do well, Ive already sunk so much money into this project. I hope that I can baby them enough to get a great product. I cant wait to stand In that field watching the laden bines sway gently in the late summer breeze, rustling quietly. Maybe Ill brew the day before harvest, choosing a bine to release from the trellis and hold over my kettle, popping hops into the boil off the still living plant. Worlds freshest hops. I feel like such a dork thinking about things like that, but I guess that's what makes me who I am. I am a dork, nerd, geek... at least when it comes to beer.

I'm debating how to build my Irrigation system, Im either using 1/2 inch PVC or soaker hoses... As of right now, I'm leaning towards PVC: Its cheaper, and more modular, so I can replace peices as the wear out, it will also allow me to direct the water more accuately to the plants, saving us water.

No comments: